Saturday, October 4, 2008

Givers and Takers

Certain encounters recently with some love stories evolving around me (not involving yours truly) has led me to conclude that the people in this world generally can be divided into two groups, the Givers and the Takers.

The Givers, as the name implies, are those people who are always lavishing attention to the people around them. Ever ready to help and to please, they are happy when they make others happy. Their fulfillment is when they can do as much as they can for the people they love. "What can I do for you?"

The Takers, on the other hand, are the ones who are on the receiving end of the attention. They lavish in the love and care that the Givers provide for them. Sometimes they forget that they need to give something in return. "What can you do for me?"

I know that at a glance the Takers sound like downright nasty people. But you see, Givers can't exist without Takers, and vice versa. They need each other. Of course the best situation is when both parties learn to be at the other side of the fence from time to time.

I've witnessed instances where the Givers have done their best, but somehow it's not enough for the Takers. I've also seen cases where the Givers are supposed to learn how to take, but they just don't really know how, and both situation will end up in the usual misery and heartache.

I do wonder though, what's the best way to make it work? So that there won't be the sentence: "It's always about you!" in a fight between two people who care for each other. Why can't it be about both parties?

Of course I have seen couples who are happy nonetheless, no easy feat though, most of them reach that state after a long process of committed relationship. I have a feeling it has to do with the Lord's Blessings as well :)

I do wonder whether I would like to have a Giver or a Taker as a partner... hmmm...

No comments: